The Lyric Chair
Lyric presents a clean and simple aesthetic design while offering a rugged internal construction with molded covers that provide protection to the outer surfaces of the seats and backs. The seats and backs are composed of sturdy steel frames that are fitted with suspension webbing and high-density polyurethane foam cushions which provide the utmost in comfort and durability. A slim chair envelope permits the architect to maximize capacity without sacrificing comfort or proper egress space. The following models are available:
- Gravity seat mechanism insures that the seat will always quietly return to a consistent vertical position.
- Durable powder-coat finish is standard on all steel components.
- Seat and back covers are molded of impact resistant polypropylene.
- Armrests are molded of durable high-density polyethylene.
- Innovative molded seat hinge insures quiet operation and requires no maintenance.
- Unique floor plate design conceals anchoring bolts and provides a clean appearance.
- Removable seat and back covers are standard and allow for easier on-site replacement.
- Unique slim profile of only 17-1/2″ allows greater chair capacity.
- Standard spacing is 19″, 20″, 21″, and 22″ c.c. of frames.
- Lifetime Warranty is standard on the Lyric.
Gravity Tip-Up Seat
The Lyric seat tip-up action is attained by the use of a gravity counterweight mechanism. The advantages of a gravity mechanism over a spring or cylinder mechanism are as follows:
Consistent and automatic return to the upright position. Spring mechanisms can have inconsistent tip-up action due to the variation of the strength or fatigue of the steel springs. This affects the aesthetics of the room and may affect compliance with egress codes since the seats may not return to a consistent upright position.
Silent action. Spring mechanisms are likely to develop squeaks and normally produce several loud hits before coming to a stop.
Seat tip-up will never fail. Because the Lyric mechanism relies on gravity, it will never fail to return the seat to its upright position. In contrast, as a spring mechanism fatigues, the seat tip-up action will get slower. Eventually, the spring mechanism may fail to return the seat to the upright position, producing a possible violation of egress codes.
The Lyric seat is a combination of a rugged steel frame which is built for tough commercial use and a comfort system that is designed to provide a supportive yet soft feel resulting from the use of elastic suspension webbing. This system provides a flexible platform for the polyurethane seat cushion which ensures comfort during extended seating periods and durability over the lifetime of the product.
Silence, durability, comfort. Lyric’s flexible polyurethane foam and elastic web construction offers significant user comfort over long seating periods. Seats constructed with serpentine springs often fatigue, sag and fail. This creates an uncomfortable and noisy seat, which may require replacement. Additionally, the absence of steel springs insures completely silent compression during use.
Lyric Chair Frames
The Lyric frames are welded assemblies of heavy gauge and solid steel components. The advantages of this type of construction are listed below:
Flexibility The Lyric’s welded steel assembly allows for simple and cost efficient design modifications for conformance to unique building conditions. Unlike high-volume castings, welded construction facilitates small production run modifications.
The innovative Lyric seat hinge is molded of DupontTM Zytel® material and is designed for silent operation and years of maintenance free performance.
Resilience and Reliability: Unlike cast metal hinges, the Lyric seat hinge is able to withstand extreme impacts and heavy loads with no fear of catastrophic failure. In combination with the gravity tip-up action, the Lyric seat hinge is unparalleled in excellence of performance.
Cost of Ownership
Due to the obvious product advantages of Lyric seating, its competitive price, and the superior service and warranty offered by TSI, purchasing Lyric seating is a better long-term value. The initial savings associated with the purchase of a less expensive chair is likely to be lost through ongoing maintenance and replacement during the lifetime of the product.
- Lyric D1- Combines the beauty of a wood veneer outer back panel with the economy and durability of an injection-molded polypropylene seat shell. The inner seat and back are upholstered cushions. The seat is equipped with a removable fabric cover.
- Lyric D4- Upholstered seat and back cushions with outer injection-molded polypropylene covers. The seat and back are equipped with removable fabric covers.
- California Technical Bulletin 133 Fire Code Compliance (when required by local codes)
- End Panels – Available as either black powder-coated MDF or veneer, end panels can enhance the visual appeal of the room.
- Aisle Lights – Low-voltage (24v) LED aisle lights discreetly illuminate dark aisles and steps, enhancing safety and visual appeal. Aisle lights can be concealed in the underside of the arm cap, or installed in the end panel. Wiring is routed through the frame to provide a clean installation.
- Seat Identification Tags – Seat identification tags are recessed into the front edge of the seat cover and are available in a variety of colors and fonts.
- Row Identification and Donor Tags – Row identification plates and donor tags are available in a variety of shapes and finishes and can be located on the end panels, armrests, or back panels depending on the chair model.
- Removable Chairs – Available as one, two, or three chairs, these units include a steel sled-base and can conform to the row radii so as to provide harmony with the design of the room, while maintaining the utmost in flexibility. Removable chairs are available with a standard base that allows them to be bolted to the floor quickly and easily, or an extended base that allows them to be completely freestanding without the need for physical attachment to the floor.
- Transfer Arms – Designed to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, these unique frames allow easy and clear access to the seat. Installations without an end panel feature a hinged lift-up armrest while installations with end panels feature removable end panels.
- Bookracks – Available in wood, plastic, or metal, bookracks are designed for mounting on the outside surface of the plastic or wood back covers.
- Wood Armrests – Available as either flat or curved, and in a variety of species and finishes.
Lyric Lifetime Warranty
Theatre Solutions, Inc. (TSI) warrants its’ products against failures and manufacturing defects for the life of the product. This warranty applies only to the original purchaser and is non-transferable. TSI will provide parts and labor to replace defective parts for the first two years after installation. Thereafter, TSI will provide replacement parts for the life of the product. This warranty does not cover damage from abuse, misuse, neglect or act of God. Damage caused by modifications to the product by anyone other than an authorized TSI technician will void this warranty. This warranty does not apply to fabrics or products not installed by authorized TSI technicians.
Use the Acclaim Floor Mounting Details drawing as reference for the following instructions.
- Use approved floor plan to establish hole locations for the foot plates. Refer to project installation drawing to confirm the relationship between the chair radius line and front mounting hole in the foot plate. Accurate center-to-center width spacing is critical to a proper installation. Tolerance on the chair width dimension is plus or minus 1/8″. It is critical not to exceed this tolerance on width spacing.
- When mounting chairs over carpet, punch two 5/8″ diameter holes in carpet to match holes in the chair base plate. Bolt leg frames to floor as per the appropriate anchoring method. Use 1/4″ machine nut or wood screws and lock washers. Hand tighten to allow for some slight movement in the leg frame.
- Attach back as follows: From the back, slip bottom two attachment bolt heads into round end slots in leg frame bracket. Adjust bolt heads to insure snug fit inside of leg frame bracket. Rotate top of back forward so that the top two attachment brackets align with threaded holes at the top of the leg frames. Install 1/4-20 x 5/8″ SEMS machine screws through round end slots in brackets of adjacent backs. Use one bracket only on end leg.
- Attach seat as follows:
- Orient the seat in the tip-up position and rotate the rectangular heads of the mounting bolts protruding out of each side of the seat until the heads are oriented vertically and are in alignment with the “T” notch in the top of the hinge. Insure that the bolts are extended equally on each side.
- Lower the hinge bolts into the T-slots.
- Ensure that seat is centered between legs prior to final tightening; adjustment can be made by rotating the mounting bolts in and out of the side mounting plate in order to align with the hinge T-slots.
- Insert the seat pin through the bottom hole in the hinge and into the matching hole in the seat side bracket.
- Tighten seat pin on both hinges and check to be sure that the seat flips up without binding.
- Flip seat up and down several times to insure that it pivots and returns to upright position freely. Adjustments can be made to the attachment bolts in either the seats or the backs.
- Attach curved armrest by aligning the three pilot holes in the underside of the armrest with the matching holes in the top plate of the leg. Install (3) #8 sheet metal screws.
- Attach flat wood armrest using one 10-24 x 1″ machine screw at the front and one 10-24 x 2-1/2″ machine screw at the rear.
- Tighten all floor attachments securely and install bolt covers onto foot plate.
The Lyric chairs are designed and built for years of reliable service. The durability and beauty of the chair will however, be greatly enhanced with proper care and inspection, as described below. Each project will be provided with an Operations and Maintenance (O&M) Manual which will describe in detail the maintenance measures to be taken by onsite personnel. For more information on the care of the veneer and fabric components of your product, click the appropriate link.
Inspection and Cleaning – In the first year after the original installation, it is recommended that the chairs be inspected quarterly to insure that all chairs remain secure to the floor, and that the seats and backs remain tight to the leg frames. After the first year, this inspection interval can become longer, but should never exceed 6 months.
Lubrication There are no components in the Lyric chair which require lubrication.
Periodic Readjustment – Besides inspecting for loose screw attachments, there should not be any routine need for readjustment. If, however, a loose connection is discovered, please refer to the appropriate drawing and instructions for installing the subject component. These drawings and instructions can be found in the O&M Manual.
The Lyric chair has been designed and tested to achieve optimum performance and durability. In general, onsite maintenance personnel can provide the appropriate service to correct problems if they have the necessary spare parts and installation instructions.
Troubleshooting – In the event that a problem with the performance or finish of the chair occurs, it is often possible for immediate on-site remedies. TSI recommends that any loose components should be inspected for any visible evidence of breakage. If evidence is found, the part should be immediately replaced. If there is no evidence of breakage, the attachment hardware should be checked to insure tightness.
Obtaining Replacement Parts – A complete list of spare parts provided with the original installation is included in the O&M Manual. If any additional parts are required, simply contact Theatre Solutions and refer to the appropriate part number or the description listed in a drawing depicting the component.
Service Calls – For service work which cannot be executed by the building user, contact Theatre Solutions and we will assist in arranging a visit by qualified technicians.
Shipping Back to Theatre Solutions Prior to returning any component part(s) to Theatre Solutions, please contact us by phone or fax for instructions on packaging and shipment method.
- Brochure (248k) – A printable version of the full-color Lyric Brochure.
- Planning, Installation, and Maintenance Manual (1149k) – Detailed information about the Lyric Series, including detailed planning, installation and maintenance data as well as detailed specifications for all Lyric Series chairs.
- Lyric D1 Specifications (29k) – Specifications only for the Lyric D1 model chair. The D1 model includes an outer wood veneer panel on the back and an outer polypropylene shell on the seat.
- Lyric D4 Specifications (29k) – Specifications only for the Lyric D4 model chair. The D4 model includes outer polypropylene shells on both the seat and back.
- Planning Drawings (363k) – Drawings detailing chair sizes, planning a seating layout, and determining minimum dimensions.
- Warranty (10k) – The Lyric’s unique Lifetime Warranty.
Lyric CAD Drawings
The following are .zip files containing .dwg and .dxf files
- Lyric D1 with Curved Armrest Drawings (2432k) – Side, Plan, and Elevation views of the Lyric D1 chair with curved armrests.
- Lyric D1 with Flat Armrest Drawings (2076k) – Side, Plan, and Elevation views of the Lyric D1 chair with flat armrests.
- Lyric D4 Drawings (1389k) – Side, Plan, and Elevation views of the Lyric D4 chair.
- Lyric Layout Drawings (150k) – Planning drawing for all Lyric chair models.
- Lyric Installation Drawings (574k) – Installation drawings for all Lyric chair models.