The Prima Chair
The Prima auditorium chair is the obvious choice when luxury and attention to detail are factors during the selection process. Ideal for the corporate training facility, museum, or an intimate theatre, the Prima offers a refined look, clean lines, and a feeling of stability and superior comfort.
The Prima back is constructed with two inner back panels. The lower panel incorporates a lumbar cushion for extra back support. The solid leg panels give the chair a more substantial feel and the availability of a wider seat allow this chair to accommodate a greater range of users.
- Gravity, bumpered seat mechanism insures that the seat will always return to a consistent vertical position.
- Leg support panels and integrated armrests are available fully-upholstered or in a variety of veneers and finishes
- Durable powder coat finish is standard on all steel components.
- Back is available fully-upholstered. A top reveal, three-sided reveal or non-inset upholstery detail is available with the outer veneer panel option.
- Standard lumbar cushion.
- Double needle stitching on leather components.
- Standard spacing is 20″, 21″, 22″, 23″, and 24″ c.c. (of leg panels)
- Lifetime Warranty is standard on the Prima.
Gravity Tip-Up Seat
The Prima seat tip-up action is attained by the use of a gravity counterweight mechanism. The advantages of a gravity mechanism over a spring or cylinder mechanism are as follows:
Consistent and automatic return to the upright position. Spring mechanisms can have inconsistent tip-up action due to the variation of the strength or fatigue of the steel springs. This affects the aesthetics of the room and may affect compliance with egress codes since the seats may not return to a consistent upright position.
Silent action. Spring mechanisms are likely to develop squeaks and normally produce several loud hits before coming to a stop.
Seat tip-up will never fail. Because the Prima mechanism relies on gravity, it will never fail to return the seat to its upright position. In contrast, as a spring mechanism fatigues, the seat tip-up action will get slower. Eventually, the spring mechanism may fail to return the seat to the upright position, producing a possible violation of egress codes.
The Prima seat construction is patterned after office chairs for long-term comfort and durability. Flexible polyurethane foam is glued directly to the structure of the seat. The advantages of this type of construction are as follows:
Silence, durability, comfort. Seats constructed with serpentine springs often fatigue, sag and fail. This creates an uncomfortable and noisy seat, which may require replacement. TSI’s flexible polyurethane foam construction offers significant user comfort over long seating periods. Additionally, the absence of steel springs insures completely silent compression during use.
Upholstered options. Unlike metal seat pans with serpentine springs, Prima’s all-wood construction allows for custom upholstery detailing. The fully-upholstered seat has a zippered slip-on fabric cover for easier on-site replacement.
TSI Chair Frames
Prima legs are laminated assemblies of furniture grade particle board with steel hinge assemblies. The advantages of this type of construction are listed below:
Flexibility – The Prima’s laminated wood assembly allows for simple and cost efficient design modifications for conformance to unique building conditions.
Cost of Ownership
Due to the obvious product advantages of Prima seating as mentioned above, and the superior service and warranty levels offered by TSI, purchasing Prima seating is a better long-term value. The initial savings associated with the purchase of a less expensive chair is likely to be lost through ongoing maintenance and replacement during the lifetime of the product.
- Prima A1-U – Equipped with inner upholstered seat and back cushions, and outer wood veneer panels with a finished plywood edge for acoustical quality and refined appearance. The Prima A1-U includes upholstered leg panels. Customized detailing on the backrest upholstery of the outer wood panels is optional.
- Prima A1-W – Equipped with inner upholstered seat and back cushions, and outer wood veneer panels with a finished plywood edge for acoustical quality and refined appearance. The Prima A1-W includes veneer leg panels. Customized detailing on the backrest upholstery of the outer wood panels is optional.
- Prima C1-U – Combines the beauty of a wood veneer outer back panel with the economy and warmth of a fully-upholstered seat. The Prima C1-U includes upholstered leg panels. The seat is equipped with a zippered slip-on fabric cover.
- Prima C1-W – Combines the beauty of a wood veneer outer back panel with the economy and warmth of a fully-upholstered seat. The Prima C1-W includes veneer leg panels. The seat is equipped with a zippered slip-on fabric cover.
- Prima C3-U – Features fully-upholstered seat and back cushions for an elegant and warm appearance. The Prima C3-U includes upholstered leg panels. Fabric slip-on covers are equipped with a zipper for easier on-site replacement.
- Prima C3-W – Features fully-upholstered seat and back cushions for an elegant and warm appearance. The Prima C3-W includes veneer leg panels. Fabric slip-on covers are equipped with a zipper for easier on-site replacement.
- California Technical Bulletin 133 Fire Code Compliance (when required by local codes)
- Back & Leg Options – The Prima is available in a variety of upholstery options. Backs and seats can be either fully-upholstered or fitted with an outer veneer panel. Additionaly, backs with outer veneer panels can be specified with a reveal at the top or on three sides. Leg panels can be specified in veneer or fully-upholstered.
- Aisle Lights – Low-voltage (24v) aisle lights discreetly illuminate dark aisles and steps, enhancing safety and visual appeal. Aisle lights are installed in the end leg panel. Wiring is routed through the frame to provide a clean installation.
- Seat & Row Identification and Donor Tags – Seat & row identification plates and donor tags are available in a variety of shapes and finishes. To achieve a flush, clean appearance, and in order to resist tampering, ID plates mounted on wood are recessed.
- Solid Wood Edges – Providing a higher level of warmth, solid wood edges hide the appearance of the plywood layers that can be seen on the edges of the optional outer wood seat and back panels.
Theatre Solutions, Inc. (TSI) warrants its’ products against failures and manufacturing defects for the life of the product. This warranty applies only to the original purchaser and is non-transferable. TSI will provide parts and labor to replace defective parts for the first two years after installation. Thereafter, TSI will provide replacement parts for the life of the product. This warranty does not cover damage from abuse, misuse, neglect or act of God. Damage caused by modifications to the product by anyone other than an authorized TSI technician will void this warranty. This warranty does not apply to fabrics or products not installed by authorized TSI technicians.
Use the Planar Floor Mounting Details drawing as reference for the following instructions.
- Use approved floor plan to establish hole locations for the foot plates. Note that the front hole in each leg panel floor bracket is located 2-1/2″ in front of the chair radius line. Floor bracket holes are offset 1-1/2″ from panel centerline. Accurate center-to-center width spacing is critical to a proper installation. Tolerance on the chair width dimension is plus or minus 1/8″. It is critical not to exceed this tolerance on width spacing.
- When mounting chairs over carpet, punch two 5/8″ diameter holes in carpet to match holes in the leg panel floor brackets. To attach angle to plinth, use 1/4-20 x 5/8″ pan head machine screw with a 1/4″ lock washer. Hand-tighten screws to allow for some slight movement in the leg panel. Bolt panels to floor as per the appropriate anchoring method.
- Attach outer back as follows: Fasten both angle back brackets (A) to inside surface of outer back panel (B), hand-tightening 1/4-20 hex head bolts with star washers at approximate center of slot. Use 1/4-20 flat head screws (6) with countersink star washers (6) to attach outer back (B) to leg panel (C). Center the back between leg panels before final tightening.
- To attach shoulder panel: Fasten upholstered shoulder panel (D) to inner surface of outer back panel (B) by engaging flush mounts. Center the shoulder panel and fasten to outer back (B) using #8 x 1/2″ pan head screws (2) through exposed hole in strap (2 straps per shoulder panel).
- To attach lumbar panel: Secure upholstered lumbar panel (E) to outer back panel (B) by pushing upwards into the base of the shoulder panel (D). The foam at the base of the shoulder panel will compress, forcing the lumbar panel to drop into place over the lower set of flush mounts. When connection is made at flush mounts, center the lumbar panel (E) and secure to outer back (B) using #8 x 1/2″ pane head screws (2) through exposed hole in strap (2 straps per lumbar panel).
- Fasten hinge assembly: Align hinge assembly (F) in hinge pocket and hand tighten 1/4-20 x 1″ flat head machine screws and star washers. Engage thread of each screw before final tightening.
- To attach seat: Orient the seat to the approximate occupied position and lower onto seat hinges (F). Upholstered pocket conceals to of seat bracket, but will flex to allow installer to access hinge. Install (4) 1/4-20 x 5/8″ machine screws with star washers through slots in seat brackets and fasten to hinges. Insure seat is centered between panels prior to final tightening.
- Tighten all floor attachments securely.
The Prima chairs are designed and built for years of reliable service. The durability and beauty of the chair will however, be greatly enhanced with proper care and inspection, as described below. Each project will be provided with an Operations and Maintenance (O&M) Manual which will describe in detail the maintenance measures to be taken by onsite personnel.
Inspection and Cleaning
In the first year after the original installation, it is recommended that the chairs be inspected quarterly to insure that all chairs remain secure to the floor, and that the seats and backs remain tight to the leg panels. After the first year, this inspection interval can become longer, but should never exceed 6 months.
There are no components in the Prima chair which require lubrication. Seat pivot hinges include a nylon bushing to insure silent and consistent performance.
Besides inspecting for loose screw attachments, there should not be any routine need for readjustment. If, however, a loose connection is discovered, please refer to the appropriate drawing and instructions for installing the subject component. These drawings and instructions can be found in the O&M Manual.
The Prima chair has been designed and tested to achieve optimum performance and durability. In general, onsite maintenance personnel can provide the appropriate service to correct problems if they have the necessary spare parts and installation instructions.
In the event that a problem with the performance or finish of the chair occurs, it is often possible for immediate on-site remedies. TSI recommends that any loose components should be inspected for any visible evidence of breakage. If evidence is found, the part should be immediately replaced. If there is no evidence of breakage, the attachment hardware should be checked to insure tightness.
Obtaining Replacement Parts
A complete list of spare parts provided with the original installation is included in the O&M Manual. If any additional parts are required, simply contact Theatre Solutions and refer to the appropriate part number or the description listed in a drawing depicting the component.
For service work which cannot be executed by the building user, contact Theatre Solutions and we will assist in arranging a visit by qualified technicians.
Shipping Back to Theatre Solutions
Prior to returning any component part(s) to Theatre Solutions, please contact us by phone or fax for instructions on packaging and shipment method.
- Brochure (257k) – A printable version of the full-color Prima Brochure.
- Planning, Installation, and Maintenance Manual (1096k) – Detailed information about The Prima Series, including detailed planning, installation and maintenance data as well as detailed specifications for all Prima Series chairs.
- Prima A1-U Specifications (27k) – Specifications only for the Prima A1-U model chair. The A1-U model includes an outer wood veneer panel on both the seat and back and a fully-upholstered leg panel.
- Prima A1-W Specifications (27k) – Specifications only for the Prima A1-W model chair. The A1-W model includes an outer wood veneer panel on both the seat and back and a veneer leg panel.
- Prima C1-U Specifications (27k) – Specifications only for the Prima C1-U model chair. The C1-U model includes an outer wood veneer panel on the back, a fully-upholstered seat, and a fully-upholstered leg panel.
- Prima C1-W Specifications (27k) – Specifications only for the Prima C1-W model chair. The C1-W model includes an outer wood veneer panel on the back, a fully-upholstered seat, and a veneer leg panel.
- Prima C3-U Specifications (26k) – Specifications only for the Prima C3-U model chair. The C3-U model includes a fully-upholstered seat, back, and leg panel.
- Prima C3-W Specifications (26k) – Specifications only for the Prima C3-W model chair. The C3-W model includes both a fully-upholstered seat and back, and veneer leg panel.
- Planning Drawings (507k) – Drawings detailing chair sizes, planning a seating layout, and determining minimum dimensions.
- Warranty (10k) – The Prima’s unique Lifetime Warranty.
Prima CAD Drawings
The following are .zip files containing .dwg and .dxf files
- Prima A1 Drawings (101k) – Side, Plan, and Elevation views of the Prima A1 chair.
- Prima C1 Drawings (101k) – Side, Plan, and Elevation views of the Prima C1 chair.
- Prima C3 Drawings (101k) – Side, Plan, and Elevation views of the Prima C3 chair.
- Prima Layout Drawings (184k) – Planning drawing for the Prima chair.
- Prima Installation Drawings (1289k) – Installation drawings for the Prima chair.